Alliance Activities : EMV Migration Forum
EMV Migration Forum
The EMV Migration Forum is an independent, cross-industry body created by the Smart Card Alliance to address issues that require broad cooperation and coordination across many constituents in the payments space to promote the efficient, timely, and effective migration to EMV-enabled cards, devices, and terminals in the United States. A broad cross-section of leading payments brands, issuers, payments processors, and industry suppliers are behind the effort to establish the Forum. The EMV Migration Forum will support the alignment of the EMV implementation steps required for global payment networks, regional payment networks, issuers, processors, merchants, and consumers to successfully move from magnetic stripe technology to secure EMV contact and contactless technology in the United States.
EMV Migration in the United States
Commonly used globally in place of magnetic stripe cards, EMV chip cards reduce fraud resulting from counterfeit, lost and stolen cards. American Express, Discover, MasterCard and Visa have all announced their plans for moving to an EMV-based payments infrastructure in the U.S., with payment processor mandates in place for 2013, and major changes for managing fraud risk set for 2015.
Experiences in other parts of the world have shown that that cross-industry cooperation is essential to allowing a market to migrate to EMV in an efficient manner and to yield the full benefits of such an upgrade in technology to consumers and other constituents. The EMV Migration Forum has been formed to provide the collaborative environment for the U.S. payments industry and to focus on the needed coordination and cooperation across the payments landscape.
EMV Migration Forum Activities
The EMV Migration Forum will engage in activities which require some level of industry cooperation and/or coordination to migrate successfully to EMV technology in the United States. Activities may include:
- Providing guidance on technical issues, consumer awareness and other non-proprietary issues relating to industry-wide adoption of EMV;
- Developing non-proprietary best practices and training materials necessary for successful adoption of EMV-enabled cards, devices, and terminals within the United States;
- Discussing the coordination of process-related elements of the payments infrastructure necessary to introduce an EMV-enabled payment system;
- Discussing and engaging in projects to facilitate consumer adoption and allow for a more consistent consumer experience.
The EMV Migration Forum membership and Steering Committee will develop the priority topics and establish the plan for addressing and communicating the topics and conclusions to the industry.
The Forum will meet in quarterly face-to-face meetings to address points which require some level of industry cooperation and/or coordination. Subgroups of volunteers or assigned working committees will be formed, as necessary, to address specific aspects of the EMV migration. Subcommittees and working committees will be supported by volunteers from a diverse set of member organizations and individual member participants from the Forum membership and will meet regularly via teleconferences and web conference calls.
The initial EMV Migration Forum meeting is scheduled in September, 2012.
EMV Migration Forum Membership
The EMV Migration Forum membership will be open to all organizations participating as stakeholders in the payments industry, including:
- Issuers, processors, merchants, acquirers, global and regional payment networks, card services, industry suppliers, consultants, systems integrators, testing services, government organizations, and other constituents (including without limitation consumer representatives) to ensure that all constituents in the payment industry are represented.
- Relevant industry and standards organizations whose membership includes organizations involved in the payments industry.
While part of the Smart Card Alliance corporate organization, the Forum will have a separate membership structure that focuses on payments industry stakeholders. The EMV Migration Forum has six membership levels:
- Global Payment Network
- Principal Member
- General Member
- Industry Association Member
- Government Member
- Associate Member
Information on membership levels and benefits can be found in the EMV Migration Forum Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) document.
Additional information on the EMV Migration Forum can be found at:
- EMV Migration Forum Membership Information
- EMV Migration Forum Membership Application
- EMV Migration Forum Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- Payments Industry Support
- Next EMV Migration Forum Meeting
- EMV Migration Forum Announcement
If you are interested in joining the EMV Migration Forum, contact Randy Vanderhoof at email@example.com.