Alliance Activities : Councils : Transportation Council
The Smart Card Alliance Transportation Council is focused on promoting the adoption of interoperable contactless smart card payment systems for transit and other transportation services. The Council is engaged in projects that support applications of smart card use. The overall goal of the Transportation Council is to help accelerate the deployment of standards-based smart card payment programs within the transportation industry.
Transportation Council projects support the advancement of transit fare collection systems and explore linkages between transit payment systems and smart card programs in the tolling, parking and financial industries. The Council also plans to investigate how transportation payment systems and credentialing systems can be linked through the use of multi-application smart card technology.
- A Guide to Prepaid Cards for Transit Agencies, Smart Card Alliance Transportation Council white paper, February 2011
- Near Field Communication (NFC) and Transit: Applications, Technology and Implementation Considerations, Smart Card Alliance Transportation Council white paper, February 2012
- Planning for New Fare Payment and Collection Systems: Cost Considerations and Procurement Guidelines, Smart Card Alliance Transportation Council white paper and Excel cost model, March 2010
- Serving Unbanked Consumers in the Transit Industry with Prepaid Cards, Smart Card Alliance Transportation Council white paper, June 2008
- Transit and Contactless Open Payments: An Emerging Approach for Fare Collection, Smart Card Alliance Transportation Council white paper, November 2011
- Transit Payment System Security, Smart Card Alliance Transportation Council white paper, August 2008
- Smart.Transit LinkedIn Group, open to Smart Card Alliance member and public transit agencies to stimulate discussion of transit payments-related topics.
- Transit Open Payments Resources, providing information on transit agency implementations, pilots and planned procurements of contactless open payments-based fare collection systems.
2015/2016 Transportation Council officers are:
- Chair: Jerry Kane, Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (SEPTA)
- Vice Chair – Transit: Tina Morch-Pierre, Dallas Area Rapid Transit (DART)
- Vice Chair – Parking: Steven Grant, LTK Engineering Services
- Vice Chair – Tolling: Mike Nash, Xerox
The Council is managed by a steering committee that includes a broad spectrum of leaders from the transportation, financial services and smart card industries. Current steering committee members include:
- Ed Baldzicki, Xerox
- Dave Blue, Cubic Transportation Systems
- Randy Cochran, NXP Semiconductors
- Michael Dinning, U.S. Department of Transportation / Volpe Center
- Jennifer Dogin, MasterCard
- Greg Garback, WMATA
- Peter Helderman, UL
- Kathy Imperatore, PATCO
- Carol Kuester, MTC and BATA
- Celine Mantoux, Giesecke & Devrient
- John McGee, LTK Engineering Services
- Ken Mealey, American Express
- Craig Roberts, InComm
- Eric Schindewolf, Visa Inc.
- Mike Simanek, Accenture
The Transportation Council is open to participation from vendors and transit organizations that join the Alliance and the Council.
The Smart Card Alliance recognizes the top three individual contributors in each of the industry councils and the council “honor roll” – the individuals who were leading contributors and participants in the council projects and activities.
Smart Card Alliance members who are participating in the Transportation Council include:
- ABNote North America
- Advanced Card Systems Ltd.
- American Express
- Bank of America
- Bell Identification B.V.
- Blackboard Inc.
- Booz Allen Hamilton
- Capgemini USA Inc.
- CH2M HILL
- Chase Card Services
- Consult Hyperion
- Cubic Transportation Systems
- Dallas Area Rapid Transit (DART)
- DeviceFidelity, Inc.
- Discover Financial Services
- First Data Corporation
- Giesecke & Devrient
- Heartland Payment Systems
- Infineon Technologies
- INIT Innovations in Transportation
- INSIDE Secure
- Intelligent Parking Concepts LLC
- Interac Association/Acxsys Corporation
- Invoke Technologies
- KONA I Co., Ltd.
- Lenel Systems International
- LTK Engineering Services
- MasterCard Worldwide
- Metropolitan Transportation Commission
- MTA New York City Transit
- NXP Semiconductors
- OTI America
- Port Authority of NY/NJ
- Port Authority Transit Corporation (PATCO)
- Ready Credit Corporation
- Regional Transportation Authority
- San Francisco Bay Area Rapid Transit District (BART)
- Scheidt & Bachmann USA
- Smartrac N.V.
- Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (SEPTA)STMicroelectronics
- Underwriters Laboratories (UL)
- U.S. Department of Transportation/Volpe Center
- Utah Transit AuthorityVerifone
- Visa Inc.
- Vix Technology
- Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (WMATA)
- XTec, Incorporated
For more information about the Transportation Council or for more information on becoming a member of the Alliance, please contact the Alliance office via email at [email protected] or via telephone at (800) 556-6828.