Alliance Activities : Councils : Mobile Council
User credentials – such as payment cards, loyalty cards and access control cards that have traditionally been encoded onto plastic cards or provisioned to smart cards – are increasingly being provisioned to, and used from within mobile applications and devices. A number of different technologies have been developed and are commercially deployed that allow for the secure provisioning, storage and utilization of these user credentials on mobile devices.
The Smart Card Alliance Mobile Council aims to build industry awareness around the business and security impacts of utilizing different technologies for distributing, storing and using secure credentials on personal mobile and tethered wearable devices. The Council believes raising awareness will facilitate broader discussion on creating standards. The Council will create resources to help implementations and accelerate the adoption of payments, loyalty, marketing, peer-to-peer, identity, and access control applications using mobile and tethered wearable devices. The Council focuses on activities that will help to educate the industry on implementation and security considerations and will act as a bridge between technology development/specification and the applications that can deliver business benefits to industry stakeholders.
Mobile Council Activities
Mobile Council activities focus on accelerating market adoption of secure mobile applications. Council activities include:
- Providing educational resources for organizations offering or implementing secure mobile applications and services
- Providing a business-focused organization where all industry stakeholders can collaborate, network, share implementation experiences, and discuss implementation and security considerations for new mobile applications
- Identifying and collaborating with other industry organizations to discuss, define and promote standards for secure mobile implementations
Mobile Council Resources
- Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) 101: A Technology Primer with Example Use Cases, Smart Card Alliance Mobile white paper, June 2014
- EMV and NFC: Complementary Technologies Enabling Secure Contactless Payments, Smart Card Alliance Mobile and Payments Council white paper, December 2015
- EMV Tokenization webinar, Smart Card Alliance Mobile Council webinar, November 3, 2016
- Host Card Emulation (HCE) 101, Smart Card Alliance Mobile Council white paper, August 2014
- Host Card Emulation: An Emerging Architecture for NFC Applications webinar, Smart Card Alliance Mobile Council webinar, June 2015
- Mobile/NFC Security Fundamentals webinar series, Smart Card Alliance Mobile Council webinars, March-May 2013
- Mobile and NFC Standards Landscape, Smart Card Alliance Mobile Council resource documents, November 2012
- NFC Application Ecosystems Webinar Series recordings, Smart Card Alliance Mobile Council webinars, September/October 2012
- NFC Non-Payments Uses Cases, Smart Card Alliance Mobile Council white paper, December 2015
- Supporting the PIV Application in Mobile Devices with the UICC, Smart Card Alliance white paper, June 2013
The Council is managed by a cross-industry steering committee composed of stakeholders from all facets of mobile/NFC technology, applications and services.
Current steering committee members are:
- Maarten Bron, UL
- David deKozan, Cubic
- Imran Hajimusa, Verifone
- Damon Kachur, G&D
- Simon Laker, Consult Hyperion
- Peter Ho, Wells Fargo
- Umesh Kulkarni, FIS Open Test Solutions
- Don Malloy, OATH
- Sadiq Mohammed, Mastercard
- Brian Stein, CH2M
- Chandra Srivastava, Visa
- Sree Swaminathan, First Data
- David Worthington, Rambus Bell ID
The Mobile Council is one of several Smart Card Alliance Technology and Industry Councils, a focused group within the overall structure of the Alliance. Council participation is open to any Smart Card Alliance member who wishes to contribute to the Council projects.
The Smart Card Alliance recognizes the top three individual contributors in each of the industry councils and the council “honor roll” – the individuals who were leading contributors and participants in the council projects and activities.
Organizations who are active in the Mobile Council include:
- Accenture LLP
- American Express
- Chase Card Services
- Chase Paymentech
- Consult Hyperion
- CPI Card Group
- Cubic Transportation Systems, Inc.
- Datawatch Systems
- Discover Financial Services
- Entrust Datacard
- Exponent, Inc.
- First Data Corporation
- Giesecke & Devrient
- Hewlett Packard Enterprise
- HID Global
- Identification Technology Partners
- Infineon Technologies
- Initiative for Open Authentication (OATH)
- INSIDE Secure
- Interac Association / Acxsys Corporation
- Intercede Ltd.
- IQ Devices
- Kona I Co., Ltd.
- Lenel Systems International
- NBS Technologies
- NFC Forum
- NXP Semiconductors
- Oberthur Technologies
- Quadagno & Associates
- Quantum Secure Inc.
- Rambus Bell ID
- Safran Group
- SecureKey Technologies
- SureID Inc.
- Underwriter Laboratories (UL)
- U.S. Department of Homeland Security
- Valid USA
- Visa Inc.
- Vix Technology
- Wells Fargo
- XTec, Incorporated
For more information about the Mobile Council or for more information on becoming a member of the Alliance, please contact the Alliance office via email at [email protected] or via telephone at (800) 556-6828.