Alliance Activities : Councils : Mobile and NFC Council
Mobile and NFC Council
Near Field Communication (NFC) technology will soon be widely available in new smart phone handsets, enabling fast transactions, ticketing, digital content exchange, secure identification, social networking and communication between electronic devices. As new NFC applications emerge, a business-focused, cross-industry organization is needed that provides a bridge between industries to discuss and promote common standards and best practices.
The Smart Card Alliance Mobile and NFC Council was formed to raise awareness and accelerate the adoption of payments, loyalty, marketing, promotion/coupons/offers, peer-to-peer, identity, and access control applications using NFC. The Council focuses on activities that will help to accelerate the practical application of the technology, providing a bridge between technology development/specification and the applications that can deliver business benefits to industry stakeholders.
The Council takes a broad industry view and brings together industry stakeholders in the different vertical markets that can benefit from mobile and NFC applications. The Council collaborates on:
- Educating the market on the technology and the value of mobile and NFC applications
- Developing best practices for implementation
- Working on identifying and overcoming issues inhibiting the industry
Mobile and NFC Council Activities
Mobile and NFC Council activities focus on accelerating market adoption of all NFC-enabled applications. Council activities include:
- Providing educational resources for organizations offering or implementing NFC applications and services to foster deployment of NFC technology in the marketplace
- Providing a business-focused organization where all industry stakeholders can collaborate, network, share implementation experiences, and discuss new mobile and NFC applications
- Identifying and collaborating with other industry organizations to discuss, define and promote standards for NFC application implementations
Additional information on NFC and NFC applications can be found on the NFC Resources web page.
Mobile and NFC Council Resources
- Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) 101: A Technology Primer with Example Use Cases, Smart Card Alliance Mobile and NFC Council white paper, June 2014
- EMV and NFC: Complementary Technologies Enabling Secure Contactless Payments, Smart Card Alliance Mobile and NFC Council and Payments Council white paper, December 2015
- Host Card Emulation (HCE) 101, Smart Card Alliance Mobile and NFC Council white paper, August 2014
- Host Card Emulation: An Emerging Architecture for NFC Applications webinar, Smart Card Alliance Mobile and NFC Council webinar, June 2015
- Mobile/NFC Security Fundamentals webinar series, Smart Card Alliance Mobile and NFC Council webinars, March-May 2013
- Mobile and NFC Standards Landscape, Smart Card Alliance Mobile and NFC Council resource documents, November 2012
- NFC Application Ecosystems Webinar Series recordings, Smart Card Alliance Mobile and NFC Council webinars, September/October 2012
- Supporting the PIV Application in Mobile Devices with the UICC, Smart Card Alliance white paper, June 2013
The Council is managed by a cross-industry steering committee composed of stakeholders from all facets of mobile/NFC technology, applications and services.
Steering committee officers are:
- Chair: Sadiq Mohammed, MasterCard
- Vice Chair: Sree Swaminathan, First Data
- Secretary: Open
Current steering committee members are:
- Deborah Baxley, Capgemini
- Maarten Bron, UL
- Stu Cox, Giesecke & Devrient
- David deKozan, Cubic Transportation Systems
- Mike English, Heartland Payment Systems
- Frazier Evans, Booz Allen Hamilton
- Jeff Fonseca, NXP Semiconductors
- Peter Ho, Wells Fargo
- Simon Laker, Consult Hyperion
- Pedro Martinez, Gemalto
- Sadiq Mohammed, MasterCard
- Fawad Nisar, Discover Financial Services
- Scott Rau, Chase Card Services
- JC Raynon, Verifone
- Steve Rogers, IQ Devices
- Gerry Schoenecker, Ingenico
- Rajesh Sharma, INSIDE Secure
- Chandra Srivastava, Visa Inc.
- Sree Swaminathan, First Data
- Erich Tompkins, AT&T Mobility Services
- Tom Zalewski, Mozido CorFire
The Mobile and NFC Council is one of several Smart Card Alliance Technology and Industry Councils, a focused group within the overall structure of the Alliance. Council participation is open to any Smart Card Alliance member who wishes to contribute to the Council projects.
The Smart Card Alliance recognizes the top three individual contributors in each of the industry councils and the council “honor roll” – the individuals who were leading contributors and participants in the council projects and activities.
Organizations who are active in the Mobile and NFC Council include:
- 3M Cogent, Inc.
- ABnote North America
- Accenture LLP
- Advanced Card Systems Ltd.
- American Express
- AT&T Mobility Services LLC
- Bell ID
- Booz Allen Hamilton
- Capgemini Financial Services
- Chase Card Services
- Consult Hyperion
- CPI Card Group
- Cubic Transportation Systems, Inc.
- Datawatch Systems
- DeviceFidelity, Inc.
- Discover Financial Services
- Eid Passport Inc.
- Exponent, Inc.
- First Data Corporation
- Giesecke & Devrient
- Heartland Payment Systems
- HID Global
- HP Enterprise Services
- Identification Technology Partners
- Infineon Technologies
- Initiative for Open Authentication (OATH)
- INSIDE Secure
- Interac Association / Acxsys Corporation
- Intercede Ltd.
- IQ Devices
- Kona I Co., Ltd.
- Lenel Systems International
- Mozido CorFire
- Natural Security
- NBS Technologies
- NFC Forum
- NXP Semiconductors
- OTI America
- Oberthur Technologies
- Quantum Secure Inc.
- SecureKey Technologies
- Underwriter Laboratories (UL)
- U.S. Department of Homeland Security
- Valid USA
- Visa Inc.
- Vix Technology
- Wells Fargo
- XTec, Incorporated
For more information about the Mobile and NFC Council or for more information on becoming a member of the Alliance, please contact the Alliance office via email at [email protected] or via telephone at (800) 556-6828.